/played

My /played between all my toons has indicated that I have been playing WoW for the equivalent of 24-7 for nearly 3/4 of a year.

If I hit one whole year of my life, should I stop?

This has been over the course of nearly 5 years.  I started playing on like Dec 26th of 2006, just before the release of Burning Crusade.  OMG, Troutwort turns 5 this year!  Anyways, I guess after the math, it’s roughly about 16% of all my time during the last 5ish years.  24% of all my time during that same period was spent at work.  Okay, wait.  That still only accounts for 40% of my time?  WTF am I doing the other 60%??  Well I’m guessing about another 20% I am sleeping.  So that’s up to 60%.  And the rest is all the other crap. 

16% though.  Seems like a lot.  About 4 hours a day.  I think I need more hobbies.

Advertisements
Posted in Shock. 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “/played”

  1. slice Says:

    Hobbies? there can be only one! WoW!

    But all joking aside…,many hobbies now a days cost a lot more then WoW nowadays. Hell 2 movie tickets some popcorn etc can easily set one back quite a bit now. /sigh

  2. Analogue Says:

    I was going to say exactly what Slice did. I have other hobbies…. reading, doing stuff, watching stuff. And they’re all more expensive than WoW.

    Also you have people you play with and are social, so it’s like going out with friends and hanging. Except you don’t have to tip the surly waitress. Or have a designated driver.

  3. Troutwort Says:

    I’m not saying WoW isn’t economically sensible. But I wonder how many movies I could go to for the monthly price of high-speed internet, WoW subscription, computer, and electricity. Not enough to make equivalent time I am sure, but still. 😛

    But this post isn’t really about cost, it’s more so about time. So much time. It’s hard to imagine that much time spend on one thing. It’s boggling when I put it all together like that. When I hit 1 year of total played time I’ll probably have a freakout and cancel account! LOL

  4. wolfgangcat Says:

    Actually, in the big scheme of things, it really isn’t that much time. Consider other entertainment and hobbies – sports, music, etc. They all require a heavy time investment to get to the point where the fun begins, but getting there is part of the fun.

    Sure, it’s great fun to play “The Well Tempered Clavier”, but one needs thousands of hours practicing “Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist” before Bach could be considered fun…(yeah, been there :P) So…if I apply “played time” to music, I’m betting it’s around the 5-6 year mark.

    Let’s not even talk about the 3 year “time played” for ballet…etc., etc.

    Entertainment and hobbies are meant to be a break from the everyday stresses of real life. As long as it’s balanced most of the time it makes no difference what activity you do to enjoy it – one does not have more “value” over the other except to one’s own ideas of fun.

    • Troutwort Says:

      You know, if I had access to a piano, I know there are nights where I would spend more time on piano than I do on WoW. I miss having daily access to one. Whipping out my horn to play just isn’t the same. LOL

      • wolfgangcat Says:

        Yeah, no room for a piano…so I got myself a sterling silver flute! I really stink (my dog howls) but it’s fun for me so I don’t care if it tortures the neighbors.

        Sometimes I feel like playing the flute, or drawing, or watching a movie, or jump around in a ballet class or sit on my butt and play WoW.

        Options are always a good thing 😉

      • Troutwort Says:

        Yeah, I play the horn in the community band, I almost never practice because I feel bad for any neighbors that would have to listen!

  5. Ado Says:

    /sigh

    All those easy comments to make and on the PG-13-ish blog.
    Such is life.
    BTW I think I spend all my time not sleeping on my hobby of sarcasm.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: